Thursday, April 17, 2008

As Nice as I am...

There was an article on The Toronto Star's website tonight with the headline "Man slain as motorists watch." It was about a 29-year-old that was stabbed to death on the street, in daylight, near Bloor St. W and Lansdowne Ave.
The article focuses around a bystander who criticizes everybody else who just stood there and watched this man get stabbed between "10 - 15 times." The man was disappointed that no one rushed to the man's aid like he did.
I consider myself a nice guy. I hold doors open for people, I'm polite when speaking to others and I have stopped to help people in car accidents among other random acts of kindness. However, I fully admit that if I were witnessing a man being stabbed REPEATEDLY by another man, I would NOT jump in to help. I would call 9-1-1 as it were happening, and wait until the other man decides he is finished stabbing the victim. When I felt it was safe to proceed, I would then administer first aid on the victim. If not risking your life makes you a jerk, then I'm the biggest jerk there is.
I would not attempt to break up an altercation involving a weapon unless it involved an immediate family member. Call me inconsiderate, but I would not want to become a victim myself. I guess sometimes being a little unthoughtful is ok.

No comments: